Re: Tweaking glissando timing stems

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Tweaking glissando timing stems
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2019 12:39:23 +0200

Am Fr., 25. Okt. 2019 um 22:41 Uhr schrieb Leo Correia de Verdier
<address@hidden>:

> I realized that defining the glissando gradient taking the stencil as point
> of departure, rather than the grob properties, makes it work for broken
> glissandi too. It was a quite minimal change.
>
> (gliss-gradient (/ (+ (- (car stil-y-ext) (cdr stil-y-ext)) (*
> half-line-thick 2))
>                                 (+ (- (car stil-x-ext) (cdr stil-x-ext)) (*
> half-line-thick 2))
>                                 (if (> Y-right Y-left) 1 -1)))

Yep, meanwhile I did similar, but relying on the actual
Glissando.thickness. `half-line-thickĀ“ is derived from
staff-symbol-line-thickness, which may result in fishy calculations
for changed thicknesses.

Attached you'll find a heavily revised code, i.e. a lot clean-up, more
respect for user-settings, a plethora of inline comments.
Some TODOs inline, the more severe are displayed.

Atm, I don't know what could be done further with this approach (apart
from said TODOs).
Thus I'll wait for feature-requests and bug-reports ;)

I said "this approach", because technically speaking it's an override,
nothing more.
One could think of others:
(1) Code an engraver to keep track of all those affected items more
easily. NB currently other items like Fingerings, StringNumbers etc
are not included. And what about other spanners like Hairpins or
TextSpanners. Currently not even tested.
(2) Create a new Grob. We already have StemStub and StemTremolo. I
could imagine something like GlisandoStem. Ofcourse this would be the
most general approach. But also the probably most involved and
complicated one.

For now I have to stop thinking/coding, though.
And monday my autumn-break ends :((

Best,
  Harm