Doing A Fiddle Tunebook in Lilypond

From: Solomon Foster
Subject: Doing A Fiddle Tunebook in Lilypond
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 13:14:07 -0400

Hi all,

I've been using Lilypond to render fiddle tunes for nearly a decade now, and I'm looking at taking the next step -- namely making a proper, large scale tunebook with it.  While the book I'm working on right now has hundreds of tunes, it's not mine to redistribute, so I've put together a quick PDF with some of my own tunes so you can get the idea what sort of music I'm talking about: http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/chunes.pdf

As usual, every time I try to do something new in Lilypond I butt up against the limits of my skills there, and finding what I'm looking for in the manuals or snippets only works about half the time.  As such, I thought I'd try to post the things stumping me at the moment, and hope someone out there has prior art to share or some clever solutions.

0) Has anyone out there done something like this before?  All the examples seem to be big classic music or choral works.  I'd love to have a prior example that I could raid for "how to do it" ideas.

1) How do I stop Lilypond from breaking a \score (one tune) across pages just to cram more tunes in the same amount of paper?  That is, splitting a \score that requires 2+ pages is fine with me, but I'd rather not start a one-page \score at the bottom of one page and finish it on the top of the next.

2) Right now I'm getting the text that goes after a tune by using \markuplist and \wordwrap-lines after the related score is complete.  I'd love to have a way to let Lilypond know that the \markuplist is logically attached to the prior \score.  (If putting it in the actual score is the best approach, I'm fine with that, I just haven't been able to figure out how to do it.)

3) I'd also like to be able to add blocks of lyrics after the end of a tune which (again) logically attach to the tune.  Right now I've got a hacky implementation using \markuplist \column-lines \italic and \line which just comes after the \score (like point 2 above), but I'd like to be able to ident the lines a bit (or maybe center them?) as well, and all my attempts to do so have been laughable failures.  (Seriously, why did my attempt to center result in half of each line disappearing!?)

4) I saw information on creating a table of contents (though I haven't tried it yet).  I'm having trouble finding anything on creating an index?  Given 200+ short tunes, that's probably much more useful, IMO.

Thanks in advance for any and all help,
Sol

--
Solomon Foster: address@hidden