Re: Doing A Fiddle Tunebook in Lilypond

From: Henning Hraban Ramm
Subject: Re: Doing A Fiddle Tunebook in Lilypond
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2019 19:49:56 +0100

> Am 2019-10-29 um 18:34 schrieb Mike Kilmer <address@hidden>:
>
> I did something along these lines a couple of years ago using something
> called lytex, which if I recall correctly sort of combines Tex typesetting
> with Lilypond.
>
> There’s also something called lilypond-book, but I think that’s more for
> including small clips of music within text.

Both LyTeX and lilypond-book are based on LaTeX. (Arara is build tool for
LaTeX.)
I’m quite sure lilypond-book is well suited for songbooks and the like.

Since I’m using ConTeXt (a not as widespread, but more modern variety of TeX
and the main reason for LuaTeX), I do my songbooks with ConTeXt and a setup for
its "filter" module (that you can use to call any external program).
See https://wiki.contextgarden.net/LilyPond

My approach to include notes in my TeX documents is similar to LyLuaTeX: There,
LuaLaTeX calls LilyPond at runtime, while lilypond-book is a preprocessor.

All these approaches finally include notes (snippets, lines or whole pages)
from LilyPond as images in TeX documents, and you’re free to use all features
of TeX, e.g. for lyrics, ToCs or bibliography.
E.g. I’m using the index features to get a table of contents sorted by names
and/or first line of lyrics.

Greetlings, Hraban
---
fiëé visuëlle