Re: LilyPond, LilyPond snippets and the GPL

From: Hans Åberg
Subject: Re: LilyPond, LilyPond snippets and the GPL
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2019 22:33:23 +0100

> On 31 Oct 2019, at 22:10, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hans Åberg <address@hidden> writes:

>>> I think this kind of stuff should just be exempt from licensing (namely
>>> declared public domain) like stub code in GCC.  It doesn't survive into
>>> PDF anyway (since PDF is not programmable and so the PostScript-to-PDF
>>> conversion executes the code in question rather than converting it) and
>>> it is very unusual to distribute PostScript these days instead of
>>> executing it right away in the form of some document processing
>>> workflow.
>>>
>>> So that is indeed something that would warrant getting separate
>>> appropriate licensing attention, but in most use cases it would end up
>>> not being relevant since there are few workflows where a PostScript file
>>> ends up as something to be distributed.
>>
>> It is only a problem if code survives in the output and is
>> copyrightable. Like glyph designs, for example, there are in the works
>> new microtonal accidentals, the design of which I figure would be
>> copyrightable, and take a long time to develop. Would you want them to
>> be in the public domain? It would mean that the design could be
>> exploited freely without acknowledgement. With LGPL, any altered
>> design must have the same license, but the glyphs can be used freely
>> in publications.
>
> If I remember correctly, our fonts have already been relicensed under
> some typical free font license several years ago.

That is good. I merely wanted to illustrate the principle, that some stuff may
survive into the output in copyrightable form. The most explicit example I have
in my mind is the Bison skeleton file that originally was mostly verbatim, but
now is processed using M4, and needs to be LGPL, not GPL, nor public domain.