Re: problems with cues

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: problems with cues
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2019 17:04:04 +0100

Am Mi., 11. Dez. 2019 um 15:16 Uhr schrieb David Kastrup <address@hidden>:

> "Peter Gentry" <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > It seems that the issue reared its head as a result of my "erroneous"
> > assumption that
> >
> > \book {
> >
> >      Page layout stuff for front page
> >
> > }
> >
> > \bookpart {
> >
> >     Header & music
> >
> > }
> >
> > \bookpart {
> >
> >     Header & music
> >
> > }
> >
> > Was a way to go.
> >

> > Although this has worked over the years it doesn't today.
>
> A toplevel \bookpart belongs to the "default" book, and a toplevel \book
> introduces a non-default book.
>
> Can someone with access to older versions check whether this was
> different at some not-too-distant point of time in history?  If it was,
> something intended to be a "refactoring" might have been an actual
> change.  I am not ruling that out, but should be surprised if it were
> so.
>
> --
> David Kastrup

I think bookparts were introduced with:

commit dbefd4b8d0249c6a739d09118f3e0a71001c1c52
Author: Nicolas Sceaux <address@hidden>
Date:   Sat Aug 23 18:34:30 2008 +0200

    Book parts: nestable book parts

    - Book and Paper_book instances respectively are nestable: children
      book or paper_book are added to the bookparts_ slot;

    - the paper_ slot of a child Book (or Book_paper) is created empty,
      and has its parent set to the paper object of the parent Book (or
      Paper_book), so that default paper properties are got from the
      higher level paper object, and child objects only store part-wide
      overrides. This way, we ensure that fonts are loaded in the higher
      level paper object, so that the output framework can get all the
      loaded fonts from the top level book;

    - a Paper_book::top_paper() method is added to access the higher level
      paper object, to access properties that are book-wide, for instance
      the table used to store labels and page numbers;

    - in the parser, \bookpart blocks are introduced, which can be used at
      toplevel, or inside a \book block. It can contain the same things as
      \book blocks (except \bookpart blocks, though that would be
      possible). The associated handlers are added.

Likely in 2.11.65, so obviously 2.10.33 can't cope with them, for
2.12.3 I can confirm David W's findings.

Cheers,
  Harm