Combining custom bar line with standard elements

From: Fr. Samuel Springuel
Subject: Combining custom bar line with standard elements
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2020 11:38:46 -0500

I have a couple of customized bar lines defined and have come across an
instance where I want to combine them with a standard bar line element.
However, my naive attempts aren’t working as expected.  My first attempt
resulted in the bar line simple disappearing; in the second the customization
disappeared.  How can I make the combination while still preserving my
customization?

\version "2.20.0"
\language "english"

\layout {
    \context {
        \Staff
        \override BarLine.before-line-breaking =
        #(lambda (grob)
             (let ((glyph-name (ly:grob-property grob 'glyph-name)))
                 (if (member glyph-name '("[" "]"))
                     (begin
                      (ly:grob-set-property! grob 'thick-thickness 2)
                      (ly:grob-set-property! grob 'font-size -4)
                      )
                     )
                 )
             )