Re: Controlling bar to note spacing on final measure

From: Matthew Fong
Subject: Re: Controlling bar to note spacing on final measure
Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2020 08:45:42 -0800

Dear Kieren,

Thank you for the suggestions. Now I have another knob to study and play with!
https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.20/Documentation/notation/layout-properties

My solution:
AmenBars = {
\skip 1*2/4
\once\revert Score.BarLine.stencil
\once\override Staff.BarLine.extra-spacing-width = #'(-1 . 0)
\bar "||"
}

Many thanks,
mattfong

On Sat, Dec 5, 2020 at 8:04 AM Kieren MacMillan <kieren_macmillan@sympatico.ca> wrote:
Hi Matthew,

> Would there be a programmatic way to control the spacing of the final bar to the final note?

If I understand correctly, all of the BarLine spacing-alist parameters control spacing *after* the barline.

> At the moment, I just use s4 or s4. just to add a tiny bit of space so it doesn't feel as cramped.

Well, as always, there are lots of different ways to clothe this particular cat…

1. spacers (as you’ve done)

2. increase the BarLine.extra-spacing-width [backwards]

3. increase the NoteHead.extra-spacing-width [forwards]

4. apply Score.NonMusicalPaperColumn.padding

etc.

Each has pros and cons.
Ultimately, I prefer something other than adding a spacer… but YMMV.

Hope that helps!
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info