Re: point and click vim (not gvim) xfce4

From: damianlegassick
Subject: Re: point and click vim (not gvim) xfce4
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2020 15:09:38 -0000

On 11 December 2020 at 14:38, David Wright <lilylis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:

On Fri 11 Dec 2020 at 12:59:41 (-0000), damianlegassick wrote:
On 11 December 2020 at 12:41, damianlegassick <damianlegassick@mac.com> wrote:
Hi (and sorry to those weary of the point and click questions)
can anybody share their method for:
vim (not gvim)
a.n.other pdf viewer
xfce4
thanks
one thing is that https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.20/Documentation/usage/configuring-the-system-for-point-and-click is wrong re xpdf in that urlCommand is obsolete and does nothing (since 2017 apparently)

Are we to assume that your email address is saying something about the
platform you're running on?

My experience with vim is that, by default, the server name was still
GVIM, rather than VIM.

I've not used xfce4, nor a.n.other, but the way in which a viewer
invokes point-and-click varies from browser to browser.

Xpdf here still uses the line
urlCommand "lilypond-invoke-editor %s"
to invoke the editor (in ~/.xpdfrc).

Evince and zathura required the Gnome approach outlined in the guide.
AIUI that goes through MIME (xdg-mime), rather than a direct call.

Cheers,
David.

 Hi David

This system is Arch in Virtualbox on Windows 10.

looking online urlCommand has been deprecated in xpdf for some time. https://forum.xpdfreader.com/viewtopic.php?t=27

If I run xpdf from the terminal with that line in .xpdfrc I get 'Unknown config file command 'urlCommand'.

The problem seems more with xfce, where a textedit: click invokes both exo-open and xdg-open. I can't figure out how either of them handle URLs

setting LYEDITOR to geary or atom doesn't help.

I'll try Gnome if I'm on my own with xfce4

thanks

Damian