Re:  point and click vim (not gvim) xfce4

From: David Wright
Subject: Re:  point and click vim (not gvim) xfce4
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2020 21:28:49 -0600

On Fri 11 Dec 2020 at 15:09:38 (-0000), damianlegassick wrote:
> On 11 December 2020 at 14:38, David Wright <lilylis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> On Fri 11 Dec 2020 at 12:59:41 (-0000), damianlegassick wrote:
> On 11 December 2020 at 12:41, damianlegassick <damianlegassick@mac.com> wrote:
> Hi (and sorry to those weary of the point and click questions)
> can anybody share their method for:
> vim (not gvim)
> a.n.other pdf viewer
> xfce4
> thanks
> one thing is that
> https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.20/Documentation/usage/configuring-the-system-for-point-and-click
>  is wrong re xpdf in that urlCommand is obsolete and does nothing (since 2017
> apparently)
>
> Are we to assume that your email address is saying something about the
> platform you're running on?
>
> My experience with vim is that, by default, the server name was still
> GVIM, rather than VIM.
>
> I've not used xfce4, nor a.n.other, but the way in which a viewer
> invokes point-and-click varies from browser to browser.
>
> Xpdf here still uses the line
> urlCommand "lilypond-invoke-editor %s"
> to invoke the editor (in ~/.xpdfrc).
>
> Evince and zathura required the Gnome approach outlined in the guide.
> AIUI that goes through MIME (xdg-mime), rather than a direct call.
>
> This system is Arch in Virtualbox on Windows 10.
>
> looking online urlCommand has been deprecated in xpdf for some time.
> https://forum.xpdfreader.com/viewtopic.php?t=27
> If I run xpdf from the terminal with that line in .xpdfrc I get 'Unknown
> config file command 'urlCommand'.

It appears that Archlinux has moved to Xpdf version 4, whereas Debian
uses version 3. I don't know why urlCommand has been removed, but
maybe the Arch lists/forums/wiki might help. Nor do I know how or
whether LP's textedit URL's would be workable with "launch"-type
links mentioned in that forum and in xpdf's documentation.

> The problem seems more with xfce, where a textedit: click invokes both
> exo-open and xdg-open. I can't figure out how either of them handle URLs

Then it sounds as if XFCE's browser honours LP's URLs. I read that
exo-open is specific to XFCE, so you'd presumably configure that
one, and leave the other unconfigured. OTOH if you can't find
exo-open's documentation, then at least LP documents xdg-open in
the Usage manual.

> setting LYEDITOR to geary or atom doesn't help.

I don't remember the outcome in the atom discussion (concerning the
line/column arguments). You can study the invocations about 90% through
lilypond/usr/share/lilypond/current/scm/editor.scm (substitute your
path elements). But the problem seems to be morphing.

> I'll try Gnome if I'm on my own with xfce4

Sorry, I can't keep up. The last iteration of my experience is given in
these posts. Their references and follow-ups have other experiences that
might differ from mine, and even be more applicable to your case(s).
Just pick and choose what information you need.

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2020-10/msg00639.html
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2020-11/msg00037.html
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2020-11/msg00038.html
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2020-11/msg00062.html

And there was also a thread in March 2019, which IIRC concerned itself
mainly with the interaction of point-and-click with apparmor.

Cheers,
David.