Articulation mark & slur placement

From: Michael Seifert
Subject: Articulation mark & slur placement
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2020 18:10:04 -0500

The following code

\relative c' {
d4-^( e4 f4-.) r4
}

produces a slur with all articulation marks “inside” the slur.  Typically,
however, articulation marks are supposed to go “outside” the first note of a
slur:  “Usually, only tenuto lines and staccato marks may go inside of the
first and the last notes of a slur.”  (“Behind Bars”, p. 121)  If we follow
this guideline in the excerpt above, the endpoint of the slur should be closer
to the notehead than the marcato accent is.  The staccato mark, on the other
hand, is correctly placed.

Is there a way to make it so that the “usual” placement occurs by default?  Or
do I need to tweak this manually for each articulation mark (other than
staccato and tenuto) that begins a phrase?

Mike Seifert