Lilypond functions

From: Silvain Dupertuis
Subject: Lilypond functions
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2021 18:56:42 +0100

Hello everyone,

Functions in Lilypond can also be written in pure Sheme syntax like this
#(define abcd
    (lambda (x y ... )
        PROCEDURE USING x y ...))

and then called within Lilypond with the syntax
\abcd x y ...
or within a Sheme fucntion with the syntax
(abcd x y ...)

If anyone is interested, I made an exercise for myself to explore the use of functions
and create a score of the first Prelude of Book I of J.S. Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier

As this piece has 32 bars using the same pattern based on 5 notes, plus an ending in 3 bars,
I used a simple list of notes (without any rythmic indications) as my main data
and designed functions to extract the groups of 5 notes, apply the patterns to create voices and scores, including a chord version on the piece in addition to the standard score.

notes = {
  c e g c e
  c d a' d f
  b d g d' f ... etc.
)

Files (Lilypond, PDF and midi) are in this online folder
(midi files need to be downloaded to listen to them)

Silvain Dupertuis

Merci

This is a perfect solution, and, a clear explanation about why my solution failed.

Thank you very much

Ken Ledeen

Mobile:                617-817-3183

On Sat, Feb 27, 2021 at 10:43 AM Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:
Le 27/02/2021 à 02:16, Ken Ledeen a écrit :

> I am struggling to understand the restrictions on substitution functions.
>
> For example:
>
> 1) can a function include "\score { ...}"  or can it only be invoked
> INSIDE a \score?
>
> 2) is it possible to include \header { ...}  inside a substitution
> function?  It fails when I try, but I don't understand why.
>
> I assume I am missing some basic concepts regarding their use.
>
> Thanks!

Hello,

Music functions must return music objects; \score blocks are not music
but general containers that enclose music as well as other objects such
as \header and \layout blocks.

However, replacing define-music-function with define-scheme-function,
you can define more versatile functions that are allowed to return any
kind of object for interpretation. For example:

\version "2.23.1"

failingFunction =
#(define-music-function () ()
    #{