Re: Workaround for (not-allowed) numbers in variable names?

From: stefano franchi
Subject: Re: Workaround for (not-allowed) numbers in variable names?
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2021 10:44:23 -0600

Right, so I'm stupid. All it takes is to enclose the variable_with_number names in quotes....

On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 10:37 AM stefano franchi <stefano.franchi@gmail.com> wrote:
Here is a question for anyone who may have been using lilypond for projects involving text and many, many, short and similar musical snippets.

I am putting together a book that will contain many (very brief)  exercises, grouped thematically. I had thought a convenient and flexible way to organize the material and keep future maintenance under control would be to create top level variables names for the main musical categories and sub-categories and then assign each score snippet to progressively numbered variable. So I would have, CategA-1 = {"code for one exercise"} , CategB-2 = "code for another exercise"}, and so on. Clean structure, easy to maintain and rearrange, etc.

Then I discovered that lilypond does not allow numbers in variable names.... :-(

I'd be willing to bet my use case is not particularly weird---there must have been other people encountering the same problem.

How have you guys managed it?

Cheers,

S.

Stefano Franchi