Re: Workaround for (not-allowed) numbers in variable names?

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Workaround for (not-allowed) numbers in variable names?
Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2021 09:09:21 +0000

On Fri, 2021-03-05 at 10:15 -0800, Mogens Lemvig Hansen wrote:
> I believe it was David K who made this magic work:
>
> \version "2.20.0"
>
> mus.1 = { c d e }
>
> \score {
>   \new Staff { \mus.1 }
> }

This can be extended to cover the case where a variable has two numbers
associated with it:

8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><8><
\version "2.20.0"

Movement.1.Staff.1 = { c d e }
Movement.1.Staff.2 = { c' d' e' }
Movement.2.Staff.1 = { f g a }
Movement.2.Staff.2 = { f' g' a' }
\score {
  <<
    \new Staff { \Movement.1.Staff.1 }
    \new Staff { \Movement.1.Staff.2 }

}
\score {
  <<
  \new Staff { \Movement.2.Staff.1 }
    \new Staff { \Movement.2.Staff.2 }

}

(cautionary note: I haven't examined the code or docs on this, but it
seems a dot before and after will do the trick mid-word and a single
dot at end of word)

A decade or so ago I resorted to converting all the numbers to Roman
numerals using a C routine that's knocking around on the interweb...
time I upgraded that.

Richard Shann