Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 220, Issue 40

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 220, Issue 40
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2021 14:10:50 -0400

Hi Peter,

> How do you manage enharmonics? Is the black key between C and D a C sharp or
> D flat? Unless the music is completely tonal, I'd have thought you spent more
> time adjusting the accidentals than simply inputting the music from the
> computer keyboard. But I may be wrong. Certainly in the song I was
> transcribing both accidentals are used in profusion.

Most songs I transcribe are heavily tonal, and the accidentals tend to be
consistent enough that Frescobaldi’s input setting (use the key signature
whenever possible, favour sharps or favour flats when outside the k.s.) keeps
outliers in the <5% range (and often literally zero!). Where I do have to
adjust, I do it in the second/proofreading pass, and that change is very quick
to implement.

That being said, I’ve also used my workflow on Second Viennese School
transcriptions, and while obviously slower than tonal music it’s still
impressively fast to crank out that kind of note-code.

> how does it manage durations?

I just “plunk” each note out one by one, with no particular care about
durations; in the “second half” of the input process, I pass through and add
durations. My workflow is more finessed than that — e.g. if I come up to a
large run of 16th notes, I’ll stop the playing process to add a “16” after the
first one — but I do find that multi-tasking slows me down, so I tend to just
play all the notes through in a single pass (using the MIDI keyboard, ignoring
durations), then add durations (using the computer keyboard/numberpad) as a
second pass. I can usually “code” the pitch portion of an entire vocal line of
a standard (~3') musical theatre song in less than 30s; “running string lines”
can be played at maximum speed (n.b. my undergrad degree was in piano
performance), so I can get dozens or hundreds of notes from a string part into
pitch-code form in less than a minute; etc.

There is a “QuickKeys” plug-in somewhere that lets you trigger durations with
one hand (on the keypad) while playing in the notes using the other hand (on
the MIDI keyboard)… but my current workflow is so fast that any potential speed
gain (and it isn’t immediately obvious to me there would be one!) is countered
by the learning/coordination curve I’d have to climb.

> And can one input a piano piece (as opposed to a single voice)? Two hands,
> lots of splitting into separate voices.

1. Chords are wicked fast, obviously: just play all the notes (it doesn’t even
have to be "exactly together"!), and Frescobaldi does the right thing.

2. The way my code is formatted, every voice has its own variable — so I just
play each voice into the right variable, and combine them later in the score
block.

Naturally, every tune is different in terms of the challenges to get the
data-entry done. But now that I’ve found this “MIDI -> pitch code, then add
durations” workflow, I’m kicking my 12-year-ago-self that it took me so long to
get on board with Frescobaldi+MIDI.

Hope that helps!
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)