Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 220, Issue 40

From: Peter Toye
Subject: Re: lilypond-user Digest, Vol 220, Issue 40
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2021 17:18:41 +0000

Kieren,

How do you manage enharmonics? Is the black key between C and D a C sharp or D flat? Unless the music is completely tonal, I'd have thought you spent more time adjusting the accidentals than simply inputting the music from the computer keyboard. But I may be wrong. Certainly in the song I was transcribing both accidentals are used in profusion.

And how does it manage durations? I didn't see anything on the menu to imply that you could set the tempo, so how does it know what value a beat has?. I don't have a keyboard to experiment with, though, and with Covid around it's not practicable to borrow one.

And can one input a piano piece (as opposed to a single voice)? Two hands, lots of splitting into separate voices.

Years ago I read a paper by Christopher Longuet-Higgins who managed to get a computer to analyse a single melody and work out which black notes were sharps and which were flats. I seem to remember that it got the cor anglais solo from the opening of the 3rd act of 'Tristan und Isolde' right except for one note which, to be fair, Wagner could have notated either way. But it's not a trivial task.

Best regards,

Peter
mailto:lilypond@ptoye.com
www.ptoye.com