Re: MIDI input [was Re: Nested transposition]

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: MIDI input [was Re: Nested transposition]
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2021 12:41:24 -0400

Hi Ralph,

>> 1. I use Frescobaldi.
>
> Wow. I missed this somehow. I can see why you use absolute values
> exclusively, Kieren. I'm almost exclusively transcribing and transposing
> fiddle tunes. I do a lot of entry from sheet music, and do a lot of
> proofreading, then transposing. Not terribly complicated, but valuable to me.
> Relative entry works much better for me than absolute entry. I can input the
> tune in treble clef, proofread it, and transpose to alto clef with fewer than
> 10 keystrokes.

Have you tried Frescobaldi and MIDI entry? I do a lot of transcriptions and
transpositions as well — usually for musical theatre pit musicians (e.g.,
multi-instrumental** wind players) — and I find it really easy to play the
[absolute] part in from the original (usually transposed!) part, proofread, and
then use Frescobaldi’s transposition tool to change the code to concert pitch
for all work going forward.

I’m not here to tell you that you *need* to change your workflow — it sounds
like you’ve got one that really works well for you, which is great! I just want
to make sure that anyone reading this thread in the future knows that
transcribing and transposing can also be done really easily in absolute mode.

Cheers,
Kieren.

** Lilypond still doesn’t really handle multi-instrumental parts very well, but
that’s an issue for a whole separate thread.  ;)

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info
‣ email: kieren@kierenmacmillan.info