MIDI input [was Re: Nested transposition]

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: MIDI input [was Re: Nested transposition]
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2021 21:13:41 -0500

Hi Carl!

>> My music entry is done 99% by MIDI input, so I type almost no commas or
>> apostrophes.
> Can you tell me how you do your MIDI input?  I'd like to do that, but I don't
> have a good workflow for it.

1. I use Frescobaldi.

2. I’ve set keyboard shortcuts (F18 and F19) for starting and stopping MIDI
capture.

3. Because of the way my code is structured — variables for each voice, every
measure on a new line, duration repetitions used wherever possible, etc. — I
try to play out as many measures as possible in a single capture/“performance”
(often dozens or even hundreds of measures!), playing each note which is
new/distinct or begins a measure. Then I start at the top of the capture stream
and insert durations and line breaks.

It’s an astonishingly fast workflow, actually — whereas before I started using
MIDI input I estimate my input speed was less than ½ that of my top Finale
input speed (ca. 2001, when I finally threw that app in the dustbin), now I
think I probably exceed the very fastest I could ever get notes into Finale.

Hope that helps! If you have any more questions, let me know.

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info