renaissance guitar - tablature

From: bart deruyter
Subject: renaissance guitar - tablature
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2021 10:31:04 +0100

Hello,

I have the luck of having a partner who builds instruments. Recently she has finished her first four course (actually 7 strings, 3 pair double string, one single string) renaissance guitar.

I've been looking for music, written for this type of instrument and so far I found out the music from that period for guitar was mainly written in tablature. I've found a facsimile of Guillaume Morlaye's Guiterne, and some other quite difficult to read scans.

I was thinking about how to typeset some of this music, in a system where tablature is shown underneath a normal score.

- This was helpful somehow: https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.20/Documentation/notation/lute
but it doesn't include rhythm notation in renaissance style tablature.

- I've already found this: https://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=920
I'll probably manage to adapt it for four course guitar with a different tuning. Obviously, I'd love to have the 'old looking output', but somehow I fail getting Bravura installed. I've downloaded it from git. I've managed to install other fonts, but this one not. Perhaps someone here knows more about how to do that.

Even then, though I'll be able to adapt the code, I'm wondering if there isn't anything simpler by now. It is quite a bit of code to go through to understand how it works.

- And then I found this thread from 2017: http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/Entering-lute-tablature-td201234.html , which probably would be very useful.
I wonder what the status is of that implementation, if it's implemented somehow in lilypond, or if there is a similar library we can include.

thanks,
Bart Deruyter