Re: Suggestion: Use non powers of 2 for tuplets, Suggestion: Use non pow

From: Valentin Petzel
Subject: Re: Suggestion: Use non powers of 2 for tuplets, Suggestion: Use non powers of 2 for tuplets
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 09:05:53 +0100

Hello Werner,

I just suggested these value as this seems to be what is commonly found with
music (and it is rhythmically viable nontheless). Basically we’re rounding a
division to the nearest power of 2 (it does not make a lot of sense to use 7
4th notes or something like 15 8th notes for such subdivisions, since 7 8th
notes or 15 16th notes would be much closer).
A pseudo code for this:

(number) → (duration):
Lower = 2**ilog(number, 2)
Upper = Lower*2
If (number - Lower <= Upper - number) return Lower*number/Lower
Else return Upper*number/Upper

These things are done during parsing, and I don’t know if there is any way to
pass flags or tokens to the parser. If it is possible, one could try to pass a
rounding flag, or one might even be able to modify this such that the user can
pass a scheme function for parsing. But I do not know enough about the parser
to know if such stuff is possible (the problem here is that the file that is
being parsed would have to tell the parser how to parse it, which can be quite
a hen and egg problem).

Cheers,
Valentin