Re: Suggestion: Use non powers of 2 for tuplets

From: Christian Masser
Subject: Re: Suggestion: Use non powers of 2 for tuplets
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2021 22:00:41 +0100

Just adding my two cents to this debate. In my humble opinion it's pretty clear what "12" in this context means as Lilypond's syntax is always about the divisor. c4 is always a quarter of a whole note. Therefore c12 would always be a twelth of a whole note, thus a third of a quarter note. And c7 would always be a seventh of a whole note. With this in mind, why should input like "c3" yield an error if it's otherwise very consistend with the syntax and definitely unambiguous? (And the dots also don't pose problems in a mathematical sense, as it's clearly defined, that one dot prolonges the note by a half of it's value, two dots by a half and a quarter and so on.)
On the contrary side, it may lead to all the issues outlined by many of you already, like Lilypond having to define a standard grouping - which probably doesn't align with the grouping of 8th beams - or guess the grouping, and define functions to change it, and so on. Also it almost certainly would introduce new problems users might run into.

A practical point of view that also might be considered is the one of contemporary music. Just one example, because I happend to perform the piece, is the opera "Powder her face" by Thomas Adès, that uses e.g. 5/6 time signature (mostly for singular bars, with a lot of time signature changes!) - which looks very odd at beginning. But: once you're through the thought process it's far easier to read than writing "5/4" and adding the relation that "the new quarter note equals a quarter triplet of the bar before" and vice versa after a single bar of music. Things like these should be easy in Lilypond, considering it's sheer flexibility and hackability. And if I were a composer writing in 5/6, i would probably be happy if I could just write "c2 d6 e6 |".

Christian

Am Fr., 26. März 2021 um 18:22 Uhr schrieb David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org>:
Kevin Barry <barrykp@gmail.com> writes:

> I think the convenience of this feature does not justify the added
> complexity.

It's mostly the conceptual vagueness that is the problem here.  There
are no actual note values corresponding graphically to the input in an
unambiguous manner, so LilyPond would need to do the equivalent of a
MIDI-to-notation converter in picking a visual representation (and there
are even things like composers disagreeing about whether septuplets are
7 in the space of 4 or 7 in the space of 8).

Does 12 mean sextuplets or triplets?  What is the meaning of 12.. ?
It's just far too muddy domain to make a major part of the syntax.

--
David Kastrup