Re: Suggestion: Use non powers of 2 for tuplets

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Suggestion: Use non powers of 2 for tuplets
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2021 01:05:41 +0100

Valentin Petzel <valentin@petzel.at> writes:

> I’m not really sure why you’d call it invasive. It would change
> nothing about the way Lilypond works, but just add power to the input
> language.

The input language is a comparatively direct representation of the music
expressions, so you are not adding power to the input language but are
declaring a part of the input language that is to bypass LilyPond's
concept of music.

> Your points about beaming and grouping are reasonable, but the idea is
> not replacing tuplet with such a notation, but making such notation
> easier. And there are many cases where the default grouping by beat
> structure is pretty much what you want. In the worst case one can
> simply group the notes manually, which is still much faster than doing
> lots of different tuplets and hiding the Brackets (if you do a piece
> that frequently changes between division 2 and division 3 this takes a
> stupid amount of time!)

LilyPond gives you music functions and other tools for programmatically
creating music from input, and that is essentially what you want to do
here.

--
David Kastrup