How to make every other barline invisible (or half-sized) ? as it occurs

From: Philippe ZELLER
Subject: How to make every other barline invisible (or half-sized) ? as it occurs in barock music
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2021 00:16:14 +0100

Dear fellow users of lilypond,
it sometimes occurs in barock music that only every other barline is visible, (e.g. two examples out of Haendel's Salomo, choir in Act I and choir at the end of Act II, see attachments) or that every other barline is printed in reduced size.(see e.g. Bach Mass in H-moll, nr 27 "dona nobis pacem" ).
Is there a way to get this result in lilypond ?

I first tried
\set Score.barLineVisibility = #(every-nth-bar-number-visible 2)
that I made up after an equivalent syntax for barNumber, but to no avail. Maybe I didn't put it in the right context ?

Finally I used a rather complicated procedure based on explicitly declaring the visibility property for each bar line individually (see attachment example.ly). It.works but is not fully compatible, for example it does not work with multiMeasureRests.

Many thanks in advance for your suggestions for improvement :-) !