Re: How can I print only some parts of a score (staves, but no chords)?

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: How can I print only some parts of a score (staves, but no chords)?
Date: Mon, 1 May 2023 09:08:14 -0400

Hi Alessandro,

> Let me explain, because I'm afraid I fell into the XY problem (if that's
> true I apologize for the time wasted). I have a directory with all the
> songs I transcribed, like:
> .
> ├── song1.ly
> ├── song2.ly
> ├── song3.ly
> └── song4.ly
>
> I would like to be able to compose each song separately (so that I can
> quickly inspect what I am doing, and in case print out a single sheet
> per time), and then maybe have a file (LaTeX or Lilypond) that includes
> different songs.

This is exactly what I do, for most of my projects. I write operas and musicals
and other large-scale multi-movement works for the “musical stage”. Take, for
example, my current front-burner project, “The Quest” (a two-act
“Broadway-style” musical about four Grade 9 girls who play a D&D-like game
called “Quest”… It has 24 musical songs/cues in it. I have 24 _notes.ily files

  Prologue_notes.ily
  StuckInsideASchool_notes.ily
  etc.

In each, I have a variable which creates a “full score” for that song, and I
have a file

  editing.ly

with which I can work on any given single song/cue by simply changing which
notes file I \include. Finally, I have all the different output scores I need:

  TheQuest_pianoconductor.ly
  TheQuest_pianovocal.ly
  TheQuest_vocalchoral.ly
  TheQuest_score.ly
  TheQuest_keyboard.ly
  TheQuest_bass.ly
  etc.

In those, I \include the appropriate style file (musical_parts_20pt.ily or
musical_pianoconductor.ily or whatever) so that the output is exactly what I
want/need.

> I would like to control whether to print chords or not
> depending on a option (even better a CLI argument,
> but I don’t think it's possible).

I’m quite sure a CLI argument could be passed, and then the appropriate Scheme
code in your Lilypond file could include/exclude chords as instructed.

Hope this helps!
Kieren.

My work day may look different than your work day. Please do not feel obligated
to read or respond to this email outside of your normal working hours.