Re: Fwd: running on a MacBook

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Fwd: running on a MacBook
Date: Sun, 28 May 2023 13:59:38 +0200

Le samedi 27 mai 2023 à 12:14 -0700, Charlie Gibbs a écrit :
Hi, I'm Charlie, Donna's husband (and tech support).  I use Lilypond
myself on my Linux box.  I don't use helpers like Frescobaldi because as
a professional C programmer I feel right at home with naked Lilypond:
write source code with a text editor (usually vi), compile it, then
execute it (which in the case of Lilypond consists of playing the PDF
that comes out).

That approach isn't quite as attractive to someone who isn't a computer
nerd, so I've been trying to get Frescobaldi working on Donna's Macbook.
  It does a great job, although getting macOS to accept it took a bit of
persuasion.  And somewhere along the line Frescobaldi just vanished,
which is what was getting Donna so upset.  This is probably due to my
unfamiliarity with macOS application installation procedures.  I got it
re-installed, though, and it seems to be staying around this time.  I
had already installed Lilypond in my own hackish way and it's working
fine with or without Frescobaldi.

So far, all is well, and Donna is having a good time creating sheet
music.  Many thanks for a wonderful package.

Thanks for your reply. That sounds like the installation of Frescobaldi was the problematic part rather than the installation of LilyPond. You indeed have to jump through some hoops on macOS due to the system not being convinced that the app isn't malware; see
https://github.com/frescobaldi/frescobaldi/issues/1584
for more information on the issues.

Best,

Jean