Re: Harp Pedal Spanners

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Harp Pedal Spanners
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2023 19:11:54 +0200

Alexandre Loomis <alexandreloomis@gmail.com> writes:

> Your code is much more readable, but I'm not sure I understand the
> difference between first and second take?

If LilyPond finds that its first attempt of parsing a longer end up with
post-events (those normally attached to a note or rest) in isolation, it
makes a second attempt of attaching them to what happens to precede
them.

Sometimes (like in the \displayMusic example I gave) this comes too late
to result in the "expected" reading.  The differences end up more
subtle, and while we had a number of complaints while this second pass
has not been implemented, I don't remember anybody writing up an error
report about the more subtle semantics when LilyPond now tries to clean
up its parsing after the fact.

--
David Kastrup