Re: Harp Pedal Spanners

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Harp Pedal Spanners
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2023 16:53:02 -0400

Hi Alexandre,

> I'm trying to notate harp pedals

It would be great to have more complete/robust harp pedal support in Lilypond!

> Is there any way to make this more "automatic"?

Unfortunately, I believe TextSpanner still doesn’t implement shorten-pair… but
you can always use padding to fake it:

startPed =
#(define-music-function (start-text end-text) (markup? markup?)
   #{
     \tweak dash-fraction #1.0
     \tweak bound-details.left.text #start-text
     \tweak bound-details.left.stencil-align-dir-y #CENTER
     \tweak font-shape #'upright
     \tweak bound-details.right.text #end-text
     \tweak bound-details.right.stencil-align-dir-y #CENTER
     \tweak bound-details.left-broken.text ##f
     \tweak bound-details.right-broken.text ##f
     \tweak bound-details.right.padding 4
     \tweak padding 1
     \startTextSpan
   #})

endPed = \stopTextSpan

RH = \relative es'' {
  ces'16  gis f  gis  des8 r a'16 ges es  ges d8 r |
}

Pedals = {
  s4_\startPed "G♯" " ♭" s s \endPed _\startPed "" "♮" s4 \endPed _"D♮" |
}

\score {
  \new Staff <<
    \new Voice \RH
    \new Voice \Pedals

}

Maybe Someone™ will have a more automatic and flexible method, but maybe this
gives you a hint in the right direction?

Best,
Kieren.

My work day may look different than your work day. Please do not feel obligated
to read or respond to this email outside of your normal working hours.