Leadsheet with cadenza / ad lib.

From: Stephan Schöll
Subject: Leadsheet with cadenza / ad lib.
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2023 00:43:38 +0200

Hi all

I have a song that starts with 1 bar of adlib (without accompaniment), 1
bar of silence in the melody, but with a chord, then another melody
adlib bar without accompaniment, and finally (in this example) again a
bar with chords only (w/o accompaniment). I cannot figure out how to
align the bars of the two parts (melody and chords, and further ones
later) properly. I tried to move the Timing_translator from the score to
the staff context but without success. Any advice is highly appreciated.

TIA, Stephan

BTW: the song is "Somethings' Got A Hold On Me" by Etta James - the
notes in the MVE do not match yet of course ;-)

\version "2.24.1"

global = {
  \key c \major
  \time 4/4
}

melody = \relative c'' {
  \global
  \cadenzaOn
  \repeat unfold 19 { a16 }
  \cadenzaOff
  \bar "|"
  R1\fermata
  \cadenzaOn
  \repeat unfold 21 { f16 } f16\fermata
  \cadenzaOff
  \bar "|"
  R1
  \fine
}

harmonies = \chordmode {
  \global
  s1
  a1:m
  s1
  f1:m
  \fine
}

melodyPart = \new Staff {
  \melody
}

chordPart = \new ChordNames { \harmonies }

\score {
  <<
    \chordPart
    \melodyPart