Re: shifting accidentals horizontally

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: shifting accidentals horizontally
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2023 04:10:11 +0000 (UTC)

> Even though I can imagine this happening, I don't recall seeing it
> as a pianist.  Even if you tweak it to swap the note columns, I
> think it will still be a bit confusing.

As Damian has observed, there are plenty of examples in Bartók's piano
sonata.  Other, similar situations can be found in Berg's vocal scores
of Lulu or Wozzeck, say, which both contain highly complex, polyphonal
music, and where the creators of the vocal scores took great pains to
retain the polyphony in the piano reduction.

> There are two obvious fixes: if you are the composer, you could
> consider changing the B♭ into an A♯. And the other solution is to
> move the B♭ note to the lower staff in a local treble clef.

I'm aware of that, thanks, but neither is a good solution for my use
case.

    Werner