Re: Start repeat after Ending bar line

From: Stu McKenzie
Subject: Re: Start repeat after Ending bar line
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2023 12:05:16 -0700

On 2023-06-21 10:47, dfro wrote:
On 6/21/23 13:17, Jean Abou Samra wrote:

Le mercredi 21 juin 2023 à 12:55 -0400, dfro a écrit :

Hello fellow music engravers,

I would like to have a staff system end with an 'ending bar line', then \break the staff, and then have the next staff system begin with a 'start repeat'.

The following code causes the first system to have no bar line at the end, and the 'start repeat' command overrides the 'ending bar line' command:

\version "2.24.1"

\relative c' {
   c1 \break
   \bar "|."

   \bar ".|:"
   c1 \bar ":|."
}

Is there a simple way to accomplish this?

From LilyPond's point of view, these aren't two separate bar lines. They are one single bar line, which is broken into two pieces. So you have to use a single \bar command that sets them both, namely:

\version "2.24.1"

\relative c' {
   c1 \break
   \bar ".|:-|."
   c1
   \bar ":|."
}

With that being said, if this is a typical "dal segno" form, there are built-in tools available to do this sort of thing automatically:

\version "2.24.1"

\relative c' {
  \repeat segno 2 {
     c1 \break
     \volta 1 \fine
  }
  \repeat volta 2 {
    c1

See https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.24/Documentation/notation/long-repeats.html

Best,

Jean

Jean,

Thank you for the solution. I am making a coda that has a repeated vamp.

I found the spot in the documentation that I was looking for after you shared the solution with me:

https://lilypond.org/doc/v2.23/Documentation/notation/bars

...at the paragraph beginning with, "In addition, you can specify ".|:-||", which is equivalent to ".|:" except at line breaks, where it gives a double bar line at the end of the line and a start repeat at the beginning of the next line."...

Peace,

David

I would replace the explicit "bar"s with "repeat volta":

\score {
 \relative c' {
  c1
  \break