Re: overriding digit-names

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: overriding digit-names
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2023 18:08:42 +0200

Le jeudi 29 juin 2023 à 17:56 +0200, David Kastrup a écrit :

> No, none of the "standards" say anything like that.  #(...) is a
> self-quoting form, like #t and #f and numbers and strings and some other
> things.  Quoting them doesn't change a thing.
>
> And to be honest, I don't know of any _convention_ that would recommend
> explicitly quoting them or other self-quoting forms, either.

R5RS 6.3.6 page 31 <
https://conservatory.scheme.org/schemers/Documents/Standards/R5RS/r5rs.pdf >

  Vectors are written using the notation #(obj ...). For
  example, a vector of length 3 containing the number zero
  in element 0, the list (2 2 2 2) in element 1, and the
  string "Anna" in element 2 can be written as following:

    #(0 (2 2 2 2) "Anna")

  Note that this is the external representation of a vector, not
  an expression evaluating to a vector. Like list constants,
  vector constants must be quoted:

    '#(0 (2 2 2 2) "Anna")
       ⇒ #(0 (2 2 2 2) "Anna")

R6RS 4.3.3 page 17 < https://www.r6rs.org/final/r6rs.pdf >

  Vector data, representing vectors of objects (see section 11.13),
  are represented using the notation #(〈datum〉...). For example,
  a vector of length 3 containing the number object for zero in
  element 0, the list (2 2 2 2) in element 1, and the string "Anna"
  in element 2 can be represented as follows:

    #(0 (2 2 2 2) "Anna")

  This is the external representation of a vector, not an expression
  that evaluates to a vector.

R7RS-small 6.8 page 48 < https://small.r7rs.org/attachment/r7rs.pdf >

  Vectors are written using the notation #(obj ...). For
  example, a vector of length 3 containing the number zero
  in element 0, the list (2 2 2 2) in element 1, and the
  string "Anna" in element 2 can be written as follows:

    #(0 (2 2 2 2) "Anna")

  Vector constants are self-evaluating, so they do not need
  to be quoted in programs

Of course, Guile has always implemented the R7RS-small behavior
as an extension to R5RS and R6RS.