Re: How to submit a feature request (issue)

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: How to submit a feature request (issue)
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2023 00:47:56 +0200

Le vendredi 30 juin 2023 à 15:36 -0700, Stu McKenzie a écrit :

I'm not sure how to submit a feature request issue.

I'd like to request the following change to the LilyPond parser:

One feature that would be useful is for the LilyPond parser to output
the following version numbers:
The LilyPond version, e.g. 2.24.1;
The source file "\version", e.g. 2.22.0.

If one changes the version number to a number greater than the current
version, the output is:
Parsing...
error: program too old: 2.24.1 (file requires: 2.25.0)

This shows that the parser is checking the versions, so to output the
version numbers shouldn't require much additional coding.

If the versions are always output, this would serve as confirmation that
a source file is up to date, and also remind users if convert-ly has, or
hasn't, been performed on a source file.

Perhaps this could be extended to check versions of any files included
by the source file (this may be a bit too complicated!).

Would those more familiar with bug and issue reporting guide me as to
whether or not this is worth pursuing, and if so, how to proceed?

In principle, feature requests should be sent to the bug-lilypond list (see https://lilypond.org/bug-reports.html ; while those are the guidelines for bug reports, they apply to feature requests too, maybe we ought to clarify that...). It can be discussed on the list if it's not clear that it would be an enhancement, and if/when it's clear, someone adds it to the GitLab issue tracker. But since you've already sent this, let's discuss it here.

First, the log already includes the LilyPond version number. In a terminal, it reads

GNU LilyPond 2.25.4 (running Guile 2.2)
Processing `test.ly'

and in Frescobaldi:

Starting lilypond 2.24.1 [Untitled]...

We could easily output the file version, but I'm not sure this would really bring value, given that it's stated very visibly with \version at the top of the file... ?

(Personally, I wish Frescobaldi automatically proposed to run convert-ly when running a newer LilyPond version on an older file.)

Best,
Jean