Lilypond 2.25.4 prints kanji, but not kana

From: Joseph Mudrak
Subject: Lilypond 2.25.4 prints kanji, but not kana
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2023 23:52:26 +0100

I am typesetting a score with a Japanese title, but can't get any kana to print. When I try to engrave a document, I get a series of errors like this:

warning: cannot get postscript name
programming error: FT_Get_CID_From_Glyph_Index () error: invalid argument

This only applies to kana - kanji print correctly. Here is a minimal example that will produce my error:

\version "2.25.4"

\markuplist \table-of-contents

\tocItem \markup "アマツキツネ"
\tocItem \markup "紙飛行機"

I am on Fedora 38 and have Noto Sans CJK installed, which LilyPond seems to use for East Asian text. How can I fix this issue?