Re: Lilypond 2.25.4 prints kanji, but not kana

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Lilypond 2.25.4 prints kanji, but not kana
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2023 01:32:47 +0200

Le vendredi 30 juin 2023 à 23:52 +0100, Joseph Mudrak a écrit :

I am typesetting a score with a Japanese title, but can't get any kana to print. When I try to engrave a document, I get a series of errors like this:

warning: cannot get postscript name

programming error: FT_Get_CID_From_Glyph_Index () error: invalid argument

This only applies to kana - kanji print correctly. Here is a minimal example that will produce my error:

\version "2.25.4"

\markuplist \table-of-contents

\tocItem \markup "アマツキツネ"
\tocItem \markup "紙飛行機"

I am on Fedora 38 and have Noto Sans CJK installed, which LilyPond seems to use for East Asian text. How can I fix this issue?

I couldn't reproduce the exact error on my Fedora 38 system, but I can give a few hints.

First, if LilyPond uses Noto Sans CJK for CJK text, that is because its default fonts do not contain CJK characters, so it falls back to system default fonts. This fallback is not something we're really proud of (though avoiding it is non-trivial for technical reasons). I would recommend always specifying the fonts you want if non-default.

\version "2.25.4"

\markuplist \table-of-contents

\paper {
  fonts.serif = "Noto Serif CJK"
  fonts.sans = "Noto Sans CJK"
}

\tocItem \markup "アマツキツネ"
\tocItem \markup "紙飛行機"

(Note that there were recent syntax changes for fonts; don't forget to run convert-ly next time you "dnf upgrade lilypond".)

One possible source of problems is OpenType variable fonts. LilyPond doesn't (yet, but will hopefully soon) support variable fonts, which Fedora ships by default instead of normal fonts to save space. Try

sudo dnf remove google-noto-serif-cjk-vf-fonts google-noto-sans-cjk-vf-fonts
sudo dnf install google-noto-serif-cjk-fonts google-noto-sans-cjk-fonts

Best,

Jean