Re: [Linphone-users] CPU usage grows significantly after a first call

From: Jim Diamond
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] CPU usage grows significantly after a first call
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 12:05:37 -0400

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 13:24 (+0400), Andrew Savchenko wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 09:16:30 +0100 Guillaume Beraudo wrote:
>> Hello Andrew,

>>> I use linphone-3.5.2 on Linux. I found that linphone's CPU usage
>>> significantly grows after the first call: on Athlon-XP CPU it uses in
>>> average less than 1% before the first call, but about 6% after the
>>> first call is made.
>> I have tested with git version on Debian wheezy, kernel 3.6.
>> The application takes around 0.3% CPU on an i5 at 2.4GHz.

>> During the call it uses 16% and return to 0.3% afterwards.

> In-call CPU consumption is not a matter here. The problem is in the
> surge of idle CPU usage after a first call. On i5 this change may be
> barely measurable though.

I see heavy CPU usage on linphone (Linux) on a core i7 965 @ 3.20GHz.
All it is doing right now is displaying the video on the screen, and
yet it is using (according to top) 21 to 24% of a CPU.  That seems
like a lot (or a reasonably powerful CPU) just to display a video
image with no activity.

Admittedly, I'm using linphone 3.4.3, maybe things would be better
with a newer version.

                                Jim