Re: [Linphone-users] What is a Linphone account to-day ?

From: Maxim Cournoyer
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] What is a Linphone account to-day ?
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2017 10:42:49 -0700

geo cherchetout <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> For years, I happily use a free Linphone account on my pc and I should
> like to use the same free account on my new android smartphone. But
> when I choose "use a Linphone account" on this smartphone, I get a
> window where I am talled for a numero instead of an IRL. (?)
> Is presently linphone.org a commercial sip provider allowing phone
> calls to and from other commercial or public compagnies subscribers ?
> I don't need this since I have already another provider.
>
> Do I have to choose "use a sip account" ? It is what I am trying since
> yesterday but it seems I am not able to enter the right parameters
> since I never can register. (Linphone is not running in the same time
> on my pc.) Are there differences between parameters on pc and
> parameters on android ?
>
> Many thanks in advance for your answers.

Yes, if you already have a SIP provider which allows you to bridge with
PSTN (old) telephone network, than you would choose "Use a SIP account".

I remember having some problems initially configuring it as
well... I've just recreated a new account to figure out the steps.

1. Burger menu -> Assistant

2. "USE SIP ACCOUNT"

3. I put my username (without domain), password, domain and selected
   "TCP" (UDP might be safer as a start though -- but I know my provider
   supports TCP which is a better choice battery wise IIUC). Then I
   selected "LOGIN".

4. The registration worked, and I could see the green indicator with a
"Registered" info at the top of the app.

5. Another option to tweak depending on your network/provider is the
"Expire" time. By defaults it's set to 3600 seconds, and my connection
was getting killed which prevented me from receiving calls.

I found by experimentation that lowering it down to 360 s (6 minutes)
works well for my me.

I hope that helps!

Good luck,

Maxim