Re: [Linphone-users] Logging In--SIP Server Account

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Logging In--SIP Server Account
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2019 14:17:02 -0400

"Mark Shields" <address@hidden> writes:

> I joined as a user of the Linphone SIP server. So far I haven't been
> able to make anything work, not even logging in to find out more about
> the server, especially how to configure things.

I had some problems and reported them a while ago (using a non-linphone
client, and the A record host did not work, breaking clients that don't
use SRV, I think).  I believe that I did not get any response.

> When I try to log in, there is a place for my username and
> password. That is understandable. But then there is a place for phone
> number. I don't know what phone number to use, or what form to put it
> in (prefixes?).

You didn't specify what "try to log in" means.  If you mean from the
linphone android app, then I think there is some notion that the authors
think that you will wish to register a phone number in some global phone
to sip addr registry so that others who dial your phone number will
instead connect via SIP.   I can certainly see that as a useful feature,
but I don't understand why it's presented as an apparently required
step (even though skipping it seems to be fine).