[Linphone-users] H265 vs H264 not optimizing bandwidth + other feedback

From: Alan Azar
Subject: [Linphone-users] H265 vs H264 not optimizing bandwidth + other feedback
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2020 07:47:30 +0000

Hello,

First-time poster - thank you for all your hard work. I have a few questions \ feedback I'd like to give.

H265 vs H264
I have noticed testing between 2 devices on an internal home network that H265 provides better 720p quality as expected, however the bandwidth is the same as 720p on H264.
I remember about a year ago while testing this, I used to get better 720p at about a quarter of H264.... that's not happening anymore. Can anyone validate this?
FPS is stable at ~25fps in both cases

OPTION TO CHANGE QUALITY\FPS IN A CALL
As the title says

ORDER OF CODECS
Can we have an option to re-order the codecs to use.
I have 2 devices that can do H265+H264 and another that only does H264.
I have to manually unselect the H264 to make a high quality call, but then turn it back when i call the device that only supports H264.
Is there a way to re-order the codecs so it tries the H265 first and then H264 if H265 undetected?

AV1 CODEC
After reading an article by Gary Sims (Aug 2 2020), I believe the limitation here is the time to encode \ decode may not be feasible for this application & current devices.
However, is there any news on a high quality royalty free codec that may be available for Linphone?

LOAD CONFIG FILE
Option to save and load a config file with all settings

USER FORUM
I really wish you would move away from a mailing list to a forum. It will make it easier to manage feedback + retain knowledge for users searching for topics that may have already been covered.

Other than that, I wish you all a Merry Christmas \ Happy Holidays and a wonderful New Year!
Thank you for everything!
Alan