Re: [Linphone-users] Requesting Support: Issue with Dialing Toll-Free Nu

From: rtreleaven
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Requesting Support: Issue with Dialing Toll-Free Numbers on Linphone
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2023 09:01:11 -0400

On 2023-06-01 18:13, James boles wrote:

I have recently signed up for a free SIP account with Linphone, I have
encountered a problem when attempting to dial toll-free numbers. Every
time I try to call a toll-free number, I receive a "Not Found" error
with the code 404.

The linphone registrar/proxy that coincides with your free SIP account does not bridge your calls to the public switched telephone network.

If order to make/receive calls to/from the public switched telephone network use a SIP service that supports this function.
Services that connect to the PSTN are usually not free.
Example: https://voip.ms/residential

Background info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_switched_telephone_network
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Session_Initiation_Protocol#Network_elements

I've seen this question many many times over the years.
Maybe Linphone could make it clear that their free proxy does not connect to the PSTN.