liquidwar-user

Re: [liquidwar-user] Some Maps

From: Christian Mauduit
Subject: Re: [liquidwar-user] Some Maps
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 05:56:32 +0200

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 08:34:32PM +0200, Jan Gretschuskin wrote:
> On 1 Jul 2002 at 20:26, Christian Mauduit wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 07:48:34PM +0200, Jan Gretschuskin wrote:
> > > I created some Maps and I liked it if you tried to play them...
> > > They are atached in a zipfile.
> > Just played with them, and liked it 8-)
>
> Great, you like them...
> Could you please tell me which you like most?
Probably "h", "hi" and "tag". The best being "h" IMHO, even if it's not
the most original map, it's very fun to play. I also appreciated "rolz"
for its originality. Looking at the map for the first time, I'd never
thought it would be really playable, but it *is* playable. I like it
too.

> 1  What the hell is GNU?
http://www.gnu.org , quoting them: "GNU's Not Unix"

Liquid War is distributed under the terms of the GPL. I chose this
license for various reasons, the main one being that I wanted LW to stay
free and using the GPL is a good way to achieve this.

The point is, you can compile, execute, read, study and share the source
code of LW. If tomorrow I decide to stop working on LW, anyone can take
the work where I left it, and keep going. It's not even needed to ask
for permission, the license states you can do it.

But one of the forbidden things is "take a binary snapshot of LW, and
put it for download under another license than the GPL". For instance
a license which forbids you to share the program with your friends.
This way, any subsequent version of Liquid War - based on the current
code of course, one can always rewrite the program from scratch - will
stay Free Software.

But to ensure this, I need to be able to enforce the copyright if
needed. For instance, if I see someone using LW's source code for a
project which is released under a license which is incompatible with the
GPL, I need to be able to say "eh, this is Free Software released under
the GPL, you can't do that!". To do this, I need all the parts of LW to
be released under the terms of the GPL, or at least a license which is
compatible with it.

As you are the author of these 6 maps, you're the copyright holder, and
therefore choose under which license you distribute them. And I can't
include these maps in LW's main distribution if they are not released
under a license which is compatible with the GPL. Note that I don't
force you to distribute them under the terms of the GPL, the choice is
yours, but I won't include the files if I can't legally do it.

FYI, there's a copy of the GPL in every LW package. It's called
"COPYING" under UNIX and "readme.txt" (the one in the top-level
directory) under DOS/Windows.

Sorry about being so boring with this license issue, but this is very
important to me.

> 2  ok, I'm going to think of a title...
Thanks 8-)

Have a nice day.