liquidwar-user

Re: [liquidwar-user] compile liquid war 5.6.3

From: Christian Mauduit
Subject: Re: [liquidwar-user] compile liquid war 5.6.3
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 22:41:07 +0100

s10t0p0 a écrit :
> Hello. Thank for your help Atama.
> But my problem is not the install of allegro, as it is correctly
> installed. I mentioned that only if there is any error mine, as the
> version or something else. I had installed the 5.6.2 LW´s version but I
> want update it to 5.6.3 and that is the problem, it doesn´t compile
> well.
> Have any of you compiled it in a Debian sarge box?
FYI here I compile and develop LW5 on etch, and the allegro version
available is 4.2.0. Compiles fine. What induced you in error is that on
my web site I still offer Allegro 4.0.3 downloads, which is incorrect
for the latest version, which requires 4.2.0. There have been slight API
changes between Allegro 4.0 and Allegro 4.2. Allegro 4.1 being a
developpement branch and somewhat "in between". This changes are small
yet important enough to break LW's compile process. The main reason is
probably that I refer "internals" of Allegro in alleg2.c, which is
indeed an ugly patch of Allegro's routines. It's a hack and hacks do not
live well when required components they rely on are updated...

Update to Allegro 4.2.0, and you'll be fine. If LW 5.6.3 doesn't compile
on sarge with the latest official "allegro for sarge" package (which I
assume is 4.1.15 and not 4.2.0) it simply won't work. No matter what you
do you'll be stuck with 5.6.2. In fact one of the reasons 5.6.3 has been
released for was to be 4.2.0 compatible. I'm pretty damn sure Allegro
4.2.0 will compile on sarge, they have clean uninstall scripts (don't
forget uninstall-shared). I usually install/deinstall many versions of
Allegro in /usr/local while developping, and never got trouble with it.

Still, I used to be convinced that ./configure would display this,
bailing out "hey, you don't have Allegro 4.2.0 installed, please
upgrade!". So here's my question: what's the output on the console when
you run ./configure ?

I'll also try on my side to compile it on sarge (there must be a sarge
chrootable environment somewhere on one of my machines...) and see what
happpens.

But still, in short: upgrade to Allegro 4.2.0. Period.

Have a nice day,

Christian.

--
Christian Mauduit <address@hidden>     __/\__ ___