lmi

Re: [lmi] 'less': stuck at end

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] 'less': stuck at end
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2021 00:10:07 +0100

On Wed, 17 Mar 2021 22:22:38 +0000 Greg Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

GC> On 3/17/21 9:24 PM, Greg Chicares wrote:
GC> > [...] pipe lmi_wx_shared into 'less':
GC> [...]
GC> > Is there any way to tell 'less' to wake up without killing lmi?

 Sorry in advance if I'm missing something, but I am not sure if this
question really matches the answers you give. The answers seem to explain
how to _quit_ less, not wake it up, which for me means to make it notice
new output and should really happen automatically. So I guess you actually
mean the former, but I'm not quite sure because I don't know _why_ would
you want to kill less, is there any problem with just letting it to
continue running?

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/197199/is-there-any-way-to-exit-less-follow-mode-without-stopping-other-processes-in/383124#383124

GC> |  (setsid seq 10000000) | less +F
GC> |  (trap '' INT; seq 10000000) | less +F
GC> |  less -f +F <(seq 10000000)
GC> |  (seq 10000000 &) | less +F
GC>
GC> of which I find the last two most charming. I'm adopting the
GC> last as my standard method--it seems to work well.

 Even though I've never had this problem, the answer above contains several
useful pieces of information, thanks.

GC> A stray tangential comment--do not do this:
GC>   $ less -
GC> because it's really difficult to get out. Backgrounding it
GC> with ^Z lets you kill it.

 A tip: always run your shell sessions inside GNU screen (if you're a
dinosaur like me) or tmux (which is better in all aspects except that it
doesn't use dozens of my existing screen config files). Then you can kill
any program by switching to another screen and running kill from there.

 Regards,
VZ