lmi

Re: [lmi] 'less': stuck at end

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: [lmi] 'less': stuck at end
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2021 16:07:54 +0000

On 3/19/21 10:51 PM, Vadim Zeitlin wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Mar 2021 01:04:52 +0000 Greg Chicares <gchicares@sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>
> GC> Let me try to explain it a different way. I have
> GC>   some_lmi_binary | less
> GC> and in 'less' I scroll to the end--and I'm locked there. I want
> GC> to scroll back and forth, but it won't let me.
>
>  I've never had this problem, even although I use less (via a one letter
> alias, which, according to the principle of Huffman coding, indicates just
> how frequently I use it) all the time and I don't understand why. Do you
> have "+F" in your LESS environment variable somehow?

I have no $LESS variable--all I have is this one:

$env |grep LESS
LESSCHARSET=utf-8

> GC> I don't want to terminate either program in the pipeline--not
> GC> normally, and not forcibly. I just want 'less' to let me scroll
> GC> freely.
>
>  But it does...

Try this:

$wine ./lmi_wx_shared.exe --ash_nazg --data_path=/opt/lmi/data 2>&1 |less -S

Repeat this until you have more output than can fit on one screen:
  alt-T A A [press OK]

Now you can scroll up and down, one line at a time, with the up- and
down-arrow keys. But once you scroll down to the bottom, you're locked
there: you can't scroll up. You can unlock scrolling with Ctrl-C, but
that kills lmi.

Same outcome if I use 'j' and 'k' instead of arrow keys.

$less --version
less 551 (GNU regular expressions)
Copyright (C) 1984-2019  Mark Nudelman

$cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid"
NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
[...]

> GC> I still haven't found any reason to prefer tmux over a terminal
> GC> with tabs.
>
>  Tabs take valuable free space.

Konsole's menu bar and tab bar can be toggled on and off.
And <F11> gives me three extra lines in addition.

> None of console emulators I've seen is as
> configurable as screen and, I imagine, tmux.

The other day I had to reset a clock. That always used to be easy
when clocks were mechanical and had very few settings. This time,
it was difficult, even after I found the user manual.

More configurability is a disadvantage unless there's some setting
that's actually useful. Konsole has far too many already.

> Unlike a terminal, tmux works
> over ssh connection. And, the really killer feature, its sessions can be
> detached from one machine and reattached from another one. As soon as you
> use more than a single machine it becomes completely invaluable.

For me, that day may never come.

> GC> Perhaps there isn't any for me, because I never want "windows"--I just
> GC> want to switch among maximized 24x80 screens that use a font I can
> GC> read.
>
>  Almost same here. When working locally I have a single full screen
> terminal open on one of the virtual desktops with screen running inside it.
> My screen is 240*70 rather than 80*24, but the principle is the same: I
> don't want to waste any space, and definitely not on any tabs or scrollbars
> (because I can scroll just fine inside screen without them).
>
>  I.e. screen/tmux do exactly the same thing as tabbed terminals do, just
> more efficiently and without consuming any screen real estate. To turn the
> question around, what possible reason could there be to prefer to use tabs?

I already know how to use Konsole tabs, which do everything I want.