lmi

Re: [lmi] Common test objects are too common

From: Vadim Zeitlin
Subject: Re: [lmi] Common test objects are too common
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2021 13:40:26 +0100

On Sun, 7 Mar 2021 13:30:01 +0100 I wrote:

>  We currently have 72 tests using common_test_objects variable in
> objects.make. This means that 6 files included in this variable are
> compiled at least 432 times

 I've really put my foot in my mouth here, sorry. I was misled and confused
by the superficial similarity between the definitions of variables
containing _object_ files in objects.make and the variables containing
_source_ files in Makefile.am. And while the latter indeed suffers from the
problem above, this is not at all the case for objects.make, which builds
these objects just once and then reuses them in all the tests.

 Please disregard the original message and very sorry once again for the
confusion. I would still like to submit a patch with some changes required
to fix the problem with autotools-based makefiles, but I wanted to already
waste your time trying to understand what did I write, because it was just
completely wrong.

 Sorry again,
VZ