Re: LYNX-DEV status bar info

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV status bar info
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 1997 06:01:57 -0800

> From address@hidden Fri Jan  3 19:55:15 1997
> From: Laura Eaves <address@hidden>
>
> I have low vision and use screen magnification hardware/software
> to see my pc screen.
> One problem I'm having with lynx is that some of the messages
> in the status bar appear and disappear so fast I don't have time to read them.
> (It takes time to move to the bottom of the screen and scan across.)
> I'm sure people using speech software have a similar problem.
> Is there a way around this?
>
> I wouldn't mind having to redraw the screen if some status messages scrolled
> up.
> (I don't know how screen refreshing affects speech software.)
> For some reason, I have to redraw the screen quite a bit anyway because
> the display gets messed up as I move the current link.
>
> Alternatively, could some messages be followed by something like
> "hit any key to continue"?
>
> Just a thought for blind / low vision users.

"hit ANY key to continue": if line-noise is a problem (as your msg
seems to imply), then ANY line noise will cause a "continue".

At least a GIVEN key, eg "space-bar"; that will cut the chance of
a small line-noise burst from disappearing the screen.

Of course, the program then has to COUNT the non-space key-hits
and after five or so NOT repeat the msg "hit <space> to continue" --
because THAT ALONE will fill the screen.

(maybe after 1st five, then hits mod 50 == 0?)

Hope this helps -- that is, IF line-noise is the problem.
;
;