Re: LYNX-DEV status bar info

From: Subir Grewal
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV status bar info
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 1997 08:01:24 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 3 Jan 1997, Laura Eaves wrote:

:One problem I'm having with lynx is that some of the messages
:in the status bar appear and disappear so fast I don't have time to read them.
:(It takes time to move to the bottom of the screen and scan across.)
:I'm sure people using speech software have a similar problem.
:Is there a way around this?

If you set up a personal lynx.ccfg, you can configure Lynx so that
messages stay around for an arbitrary number of seconds.  There are three
types of messages Informational, Messages, and Alerts.  Typically you want
to read the Alerts.  If you increase the number of seconds they're around,
however, you also increase the amount of time Lynx doesn't respond.

For instance, I was using Lynx to work with a database that had a web
interface.  One had to log into the database (it's webserver password
protected).  The message "Alert! Access without authorization denied" was
displayed for the default of three seconds.  Others found this irksome and
I told them they could modify the lynx.cfg and they were happy.  I never
did it because I have a habit of typing ahead anyway, so I just used to
type my username and password while lynx was displaying the alert, just
like I did when logging into my accounts.

What I'm trying to say is that your mileage may vary, but Lynx does permit
you to customize the duration of the alter/message/information.

address@hidden  +  Lynx 2.6  +  PGP  +  http://www.crl.com/~subir/
On a paper submitted by a physicist colleague:

"This isn't right.  This isn't even wrong."
                -- Wolfgang Pauli

;
;