Re: LYNX-DEV Coding & submission style

From: root
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Coding & submission style
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 22:06:29 -0500 (EST)

Andrew Kuchling wrote:

[...]
> and the solution is to settle on a coding
> style, much as the Linux community has done.  (See
> http://recycle.cebaf.gov/~doolitt/Linux-coding.html,
> or Documentation/CodingStyle in the Linux source code.)
>
>       So... what should the Lynx coding style look like?  (Once a
> style is agreed-upon, I'll figure out what settings are required to
> make Emacs cc-mode support the style.)  Some thoughts:
>

>        * Large blocks of comments should be formatted like this:
>
>  /*      Entity values -- for ISO Latin 1 local representation
>  **
>  **      This MUST match exactly the table referred to in the DTD!
>  */

How about:

 /*
  * Entity values -- for ISO Latin 1 local representation
  *
  * This MUST match exactly the table referred to in the DTD!
  */
(Note that the "/*" and "*/" lines have no text on them.)

The reasons I would prefer this are several:

  1)  It is less typing to do manually.
  2)  It appears to be the comment style of most of the code.
  3)  It doesn't seem as bold.
  4)  It is Jed's default style (A somewhat selfish reason.)
      (Jed is FTP-able from space.mit.edu/pub/davis)

  -- James Mastros
;
;