Re: lynx future, was: Re: LYNX-DEV warning: applets flying

From: Tom Zerucha
Subject: Re: lynx future, was: Re: LYNX-DEV warning: applets flying
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 14:58:58 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 21 Feb 1997, Uwe Koch wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Feb 1997, Michael Ritzert wrote:
>
> > 2. some kind of java (kaffe?) support, maybe javascript too.
> Sorry for the sarcasm: but how do you want to emulate a mouse which is
> often necessay for java-applets on a dec-text-terminal???? And what about
> the bitmap-graphics?

Linux can execute the applets within HTML files, and if you have an X
terminal, you have the mouse, etc.  Getting the HTML out of lynx where
java can see it is more complex (it isn't a MIME-type, but embedded in the
actual HTML).

> > 3. some kind of table rendering, like in emacs w3.
> Ageed, table rendering is less than optimal but very readable, in contrast
> to Mosaic...

I have a proxy at www.mich.com/~thomas/ftp - lxtabX.Y.tgz which
preprocesses the HTML (might solve the applet problem if modified).

> > 5. faster toggling between rendered html and source display --- why does
> >    \ start a full reload and not a reload from lynx' local cache which
> > should
> >    be fully sufficient?
> There is no such thing as a local cache in lynx - use your proxy.
> For more information look at the lynx-dev archive.

Lynx should have an option to save the current working page, if HTML as
/tmp/current.html (or whatever) and rerender it from that file without
rereading it from the net.  I.e. a cache of a single page.

At this point, the proxies I am writing are going to have more functions
than Lynx itself.

address@hidden
finger address@hidden for PGP key

;