Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 3.0

From: Joe Kincaid
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 3.0
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 16:23:49 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 27 Feb 1997, Matt Ackeret wrote:

> Hi, I'm new to this list.  It actually looks to be high volume enough that
> >The two may go together.  Properly rendering wide tables will require
> >horizontal scrolling.  PC Quote's marketsmart markets at a glance is
> >140-150 characters wide rendered in text.
>
> Argh.  This crap seems to me like people are getting away from the whole
> idea of HTML being *display independent*!!!
>
> But having this would be better than nothing.  However, I would prefer if
> the left and right scrolling were done by the USER rather than by Lynx, or
> at least toggle-able.  That is, even if there were a link on the right side
> of the screen I couldn't see, I wouldn't want it to JUMP to the right when
> I hit the down arrow to go to next link..   I hate screens jumping all over
> "automatically".    (This sideways scrolling is one of the things that
> annoys me about either vim or one of the other vi clones I have used on
> some systems.. no it wasn't elvis as mentioned above..)

OK. We all know Lynx isn't a file viewer and that if we want to view a
file, we should use one. Well, let's have Lynx use one when the page is
too wide.  If there is a table with 150 characters across the screen,
could Lynx (at least) render the table, display the first 76 or so
characters and warn the user in the status line that text is off screen?
The status line could hint to use P)rint and a real file viewer to help
the user figure out what to do. Granted that links out there would
(might?) be unreachable, but it would be a start toward table handling on
an 80-column screen.

You wouldn't even need sideways scrolling. Let the file viewer do that.

Joe
-----
Joseph Kincaid                 |  Mathematics is the alphabet with which God
address@hidden   |  has written the universe.
address@hidden        |                          -- Galileo
http://www.peru.edu/~kincaid   |   (except he said it in Italian, of course.)

;