Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx ac-0.49

From: Jim Dennis
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx ac-0.49
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 23:15:33 -0700

>  ly>I am trying latest version of lynx for dos indicated in subject
>  ly>uploaded from Wayne in your web pages; but I have found that in
>  ly>this version, downloading of files via HTTP doesn't work. It
>  ly>happens that apparently the file is received correctly, but when
>  ly>you save it the file results 0 bytes length.
>  ly>Best regards.
>  ly>Sabato De Rosa
>
> Ok, Wayne;
> I think that I have found where is the problem; it appears that this version
> of LYNX doesn't work properly if it is installed the dos program "SHARE.EXE.
> Could anyone confirm this suspicious?
> Thanks in advance.
> Regards.

> Net-Tamer V 1.10 Beta  - Test Drive

        I have a couple of suggestions for DOS users who have to
        load SHARE.EXE (which was required for many applications
        -- including some versions of Word).

        The first suggestion is to go through the system and
        set all your .EXE and .DLL (and any .OVL or other overlay
        files) to be read-only using the ATTRIB command (you can
        use a GNUish MSDOS port of FIND or you can use 4DOS'
        "global" command or any of the numerous ports of the old
        CP/M utility called SWEEP -- to do the actually directory
        traversal).

        This seems to work because most versions of SHARE.EXE
        will check that bit and not bother tracking file locks
        on any read-only files.  Thus open files don't fill SHARE's
        tables as quickly.

        Another suggestion is to use the command line switches to
        enlarge SHARE's tables (/L= and /F=) -- I don't remember the
        details so look them up in the manuals.

        If you're running Windows for Workgroups (using
        DOS boxes thereunder) you should use the VSHARE.386
        driver instead of the DOS SHARE implementation.

        My last suggestion is to grab an old copy of DR-DOS and
        use the SHARE.EXE (or was it SHARE.COM) from that.  You
        could go to Caldera to pick up a copy of that -- $29 if
        you want to pay for the CD.  The DR-DOS implementation of
        SHARE was considerably better than the Microsoft one --
        at least the last MS one that I had any real exposure to.

        Now that I've blown my cover I might as well admit that
        I did tech support for Quarterdeck and for Peter Norton
        before I became a Unix bigot.

--
Jim Dennis  (800) 938-4078              address@hidden
Proprietor, Starshine Technical Services:  http://www.starshine.org