Re: LYNX-DEV last call: LBO home page update

From: Al Gilman
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV last call: LBO home page update
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 10:18:38 -0500 (EST)

to follow up on what Larry W. Virden, x2487 said:

[Philip]
> >> shouldn't this be a link?  maybe there's a reason why not, of course.
[Tom]
> >if lynx isn't working, you may not have a link...

[Larry]
> I think the link was removed because folk kept trying it out and sending
> blank email to the list.  This way, at least they intentionally sent
> the email.

Yes, that was a conscious decision and that was the reason.

[Philip]
> > we should also tell them to give full detail, which many
> > don't do first time.

[Larry]
> Even more than that, tell them _what full detail_ to give.
>
> I personally think providing a form, either in the distribution or
> on the web site, to fill in, with some info required, would be useful.
>
> Things that we typically need :
>
> 1. Version of Lynx
> 2. Type of Hardware
> 3. Version of OS
> 4. What compiler and version
> 5. Working email of the person who is having the problem
> 6. Specific URL (and if necessary, selections to reach that URL)
>
> On the form with this info should be a link or list of known
> limitations:
>
> Not available for PDAs,  no support for Java/Javascript, Go to
> www.cryptography.org for SSL, ...

Yes, on the last go-around Henry convinced me that an advisals
and form page like that would be better.  But we agreed that this
should go on a separate page and we would not make the 'good' of
correcting p.1 wait for the 'better' of somebody writing p.2.

I thought somebody had ported Lynx to some PDA.  From Larry's
comment do I understand that Win-CE is not 95-compatible enough
to host Lynx without a lot of work?

Al